Usually we copy from the best: probably that’s why Melania Trump yesterday used the same words of Michelle Obama in her speech.
And it’s pretty absurd that the speech is about values, dignity and respect.
When reading the news I thought it was a headline built for impact; instead, listening to speech and comparing the two texts I understood why the Internet is blaming this plagiarism.
See Michelle Obama’s speech:
And Melania Trump’s speech:
I can easily imagine the brainstorming between Trump’s consultants:
- we take one thing that worked once
- we do it again, “as the Americans are stupid, they won’t notice it”
- we dress it in white, the color of purity and new beginnings
A mere copy is the worst own goal that can be done in marketing, communication, and life:
- Communication is not just what you say: is how you say it that makes the difference, if you put all your body and soul and mind into it.
Everything in Michelle Obama is consistent with her speech, you can see and feel empathically that her words resonate within her heart, voice and body.
My gut has a quite different reaction listening to Melania Trump.
- A mere copy won’t give you an identity, and your lack of differentiation and unicity will be evident to everyone.
- The Internet doesn’t forget
- People hate being teased